Henvey Inlet First Nation is currently seeking a full-time Maintenance Assistant to join our Administration for an 18-month maternity leave contract. The Maintenance Assistant reports to the Maintenance Supervisor and is responsible for the maintenance of all current and future band-owned buildings and grounds including HIFN Administration Office, Commercial Rental Offices, Health Centre, Daycare, Playground Areas, 4-Plex, Ball Field, Pow Wow Grounds, Helipad, 8-Plex, Learning Centre, Lands Office, and Fire Hall.
This position requires a high degree of self-motivation and a strong work ethic.
The Maintenance Assistant will be responsible to:
- Assist with the set-up of workshops and other events taking place in the Firehall and throughout the Community
- Ensure ample supply of toiletries, including soap, toilet paper, and paper towels, are available in building restroom dispensaries at all times
- Assist with minor plumbing issues including repairing leaking faucets, broken pipes, etc.
- Assist with minor electrical issues including changing light bulbs and smoke detector batteries, etc.
- Assist with minor building repairs including damage to drywall, replacement/installation of doors, windows, damaged siding and floor coverings, and interior and exterior painting and window washing
- Transport required band-owned equipment to and from respective job sites
- Maintain building grounds by watering grass and gardens as needed, cutting grass and brush, raking leaves, and removing fallen trees impeding band property
- Assisting with planting, watering, and weeding of flower beds, and harvesting of Community gardens
- Clean building eavesdrops and gutters as needed
- Assist with removal of beehives, hornet, and wasp’s nests from the exterior of buildings
- Clear snow from parking lots, driveways, steps, ramps, pathways, garbage bins, and building roofs
- Salt and/or sand parking lots, driveways, steps, ramps and walkways prior to and immediately following snow or ice storms
- Winterize building doors and windows as needed
- Pick up and remove garbage, cigarette butts, and other debris in and around band-owned property
- Flood the community ice rink at the beginning of and throughout the season as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned from time-to-time by Maintenance Supervisor, Chief, and Council or the Director of Finance/Administration
- Valid Ontario Class G Driver's License a must
- Clear driver’s abstract
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent preferred
- Basic home maintenance and carpentry skills
- Previous carpentry, brush cutting or landscaping experience an asset
- Chainsaw Safety Certification preferred
- Ability to stand, bend, reach and twist for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs continuously
- Current First Aid and CPR Level C
- Exceptional organization and time-management skills
- Professional attitude and a strong work ethic
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed
HOURS OF WORK
Full-Time – 35.5 hrs/week
As soon as possible
Posted until filled
Those interested in applying should submit their resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Henvey Inlet First Nation – Human Resources
295 Pickerel River Rd.
Pickerel, ON P0G 1J0
Tel: (705) 857-2331
Fax: (705) 857-3021
We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Henvey Inlet First Nation gives preference to all qualified First Nations people in accordance with Section 24(1) (a) of the Ontario Human Rights Code.